Thesis: Office Fighting Game Character Select

  • This project was completed to satisfy degree requirements and receive my BFA in 3D Digital Design!
  • I began this project in the previous semester with a single character. The goal for the next semester was to create the other 3 characters in my ensemble and place them in an environment. The concept was to develop a mock "character select" screen for an office fighting game in Unreal Engine.
  • These were the initial concepts after a ton of sketching. A few adjustments were made before the value drawing:
  • Here is a concept for the environment I wanted to place them in:
  • After all the concept art was finished, I set to work on modeling. You can see some of my character modeling process here for the Sales character. Here are the other three:
  • The I.T. Guy
  • The H.R. Representative
  • and the Accountant
  • Each were set to the same pose and given their own skeleton, with additional bones added for dynamic simulation.
  • To make life easier, I made a proxy rig to send to an animator so that he could work on each character's animation while I finished up the actual models.
  • My next step after UV layout was texturing with Substance Painter 2. 
  • Now that the characters were finished, I focused my attention on the environment. I modeled everything in Maya and imported it into my Unreal project.
  • Here is a video of the environment partially done in Unreal Engine:
  • I placed all of my lighting and ceiling tiles using basic blueprints.
  • Some lighting adjustments and post-process FX tweaks were necessary to make everything look right...
  • This looks much better! The animations came in and were applied to the characters at this point. Some other tweaks and last minute additions went in before my final presentations.
  • As you might be able to see, there were some necessary adjustments to be made with the simulated parts of each character, and to some skin weights. I was able to get it in working order before my final submission. Prior to this I took some time to make the overlays for the "character select" screen theme:
  • A long-winded blueprint determined the logic for each one popping up at the correct time, as shown here:
  • With all that implemented, I made my final adjustments to the animations and this is the result!